[ic] suid makecat

interch interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jan 17 13:31:01 2003

The way we automated our catalog setups, and a lot of other setups, is to
run a setup daemon  under daemontools as root that queries a database every
few minutes.  If there is an entry in the database with setup information
for the catalog, run makecat with the correct options as root, flag the
database that the account was setup.  Makes the setup on the server easy no
hassles with any suid scripts, and makes integrating with pretty much any
type of front end easy.

Chris

----- Original Message -----
From: <cfm@maine.com>
To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ic] suid makecat

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 01:13:20PM +1030, Tim Stoakes wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:19:05 -0500
> >  cfm@maine.com wrote:

interchange catalogs. One of the steps involved in this is the makecat of
course. I have written a wrapper that is suid the interchange user, that
checks parameters etc. for safety. However, makecat is called from here as
suid aswell, and it is giving me a lot of errors due to the forced -T
mechanism.

> > > reinventing cpanel? <LOL>
> >
> > After hearing so many bad comments about CPanel we did not go down that
road. This is just for internal use anyway, so that we can setup many
catalogs quickly with inexperienced staff.

cfm@maine.com
http://www.maine.com/