[ic] CC Authorize now, settle later

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jan 22 16:14:01 2003

Matt Johnston wrote:

> I am using the BoA payment module in 4.8.6.  I am also using
> a fulfillment
> company to handle the stocking and shipping of products.  For
> this reason,
> I don't want to complete the credit card sale until after the item is
> shipped (in case the item is currently out of stock).
> Looking through the
> BoA module, I see the "sale" transaction requires two
> requests to complete.

I just did this same sort of thing with Authorize.net and it
was actually pretty simple to implement.

> My question is, what is the best way to authorize the credit
> card and then
> settle the transaction after the item is shipped?

The simplest way is to upgrade IC, as this feature is implemented
in the latest version.  If, on the other hand, you must stay with
the old version for the time being, as I had to, you can do the
following:

You need some way of passing the transaction type to
the [charge] tag called in the etc/profiles.order.  in that way
you can specify which type of transaction you want.  in my
case, I modified the admin/order_status page to include
a void feature as well as capture for follow-up use.

But you must keep in mind that some items if backordered,
may go over 30 days in which case you will need to have
it set up for a new auth and capture.  also, you have to
modify your transactions table to hold your auth number,
and transaction numbers.  I also added some 'captured',
'voided', and 'credited' fields which are handy.

> If an item
> is currently
> out of stock and is not included in the shipment, is there an
> easy way for
> me to adjust the final sale price after it has already been
> authorized?

Im not sure on BOA, but I think that most of the time
you cannot do this.  You must void the first transaction
and just enter a new one if the price changes at all.

--
Aaron