[ic] MCPAN install failure for DBD::mysql

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Fri Jul 4 11:02:37 EDT 2003

Quoting Cameron G (ritontor at icenet.com.au):
> > OK, sounds fine. I've never done the install of a perl module manually.
> How
> > do I go about it?
> >
> > > DBD::mysql usually needs to be installed manually - well
> > > atleast that's how
> > > it's turned out for me. It won't pass the check unless you
> > > supply it with
> > > valid details to test with your mysql server, and if it
> > > doesn't pass the
> > > check, it won't automatically install in that cute little
> > > CPAN style we all
> > > know and love.
> > >

> doh, i top posted.
>
> ok, the source will still be on your machine, but the path may vary. i use
> CPAN as root, because i'm crazy like that, hence my path to where the
> modules are kept is
>
> /root/.cpan/build/
>
> there should be a DBD-something directory in there. cd to it, and plug away
> at the INSTALL.html file. it's all fairly self explanatory.

I have been installing DBD::mysql for quite a long time. Since at least
the time defined by the release of RedHat 6.2, it has installed directly
from CPAN provided you have the mysql-devel RPM installed.

If the test doesn't work because MySQL security has been changed to
not allow unfettered access to test* tables, you just do:

cpan> force install DBD::mysql

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike at perusion.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock