[ic] Items deleting don't work?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Jul 7 18:22:55 EDT 2003

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Mike Heins wrote:

> Quoting Sergiusz Jarczyk (sjarczyk at wist.net.pl):
> > Quoting Mike Heins (mike at perusion.com):
> > >
> > > This is funny. I am able to duplicate this, but *only the first time IC is
> > > run after creating the database*. After there is one restart of IC with
> > > a pre-existing set of tables, then it works fine.
> > >
> > > Can you verify this by restarting IC and seeing if it works?
> >
> > I had to restart IC four times, before I was able to delete items. Can you
> > tell me why it happened? I've never had similar problems with IC, no matter
> > stable or nightly build.
> >

> I believe it is Postgres, myself. Try this at the psql prompt right after
> building the catalog:
>
> pfound-> delete from products where sku = 'os28004';
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "from" at character 15
> pfound=> delete from merchandising where sku = 'os28004';
> DELETE 1
> pfound=> delete from products where sku = 'os28004';
> DELETE 1
> pfound=>
>
> The third command was run simply by pressing the up-arrow twice, so
> there is no syntax error there.

You were not starting with a clean command buffer on that first line --
the prompt:

pfound->

shows that you're on line 2 or more of a multi-line statement. This:

pfound=>

shows you're on line 1. There could've been a statement left uncompleted,
but it seems it would have to be in psql itself to cause this problem. Are
you running a different version of the psql client than the postmaster?

Jon