[ic] Need Quickbooks Import Help Pls

Jonathan Clark jonc at webmaint.com
Mon Jul 28 11:33:11 EDT 2003

> An update on what I've found so far, some of this
> might help others using the quickbooks module.  And
> thanks to Jon for the link to the newsgroups, google
> groups is perfect for getting through the info there.
>

> >First, it seems that when you have a quotation mark
> in
> >the item description, it messes up the import into
> QB.
> > Say  57" Windsock.  I tried escaping it with  57\"
> >Windsock and that didn't work.  In the import I get
> >the SPLID in the quantity field as a negative
> quantity
> >and the date in the sku field when I have something
> >like this.  If I take the " out, then it works fine.
> >Any ideas?
>
> It seems this is a bug with QB, at least with the
> version I'm using which is a bit older (2000).  QB
> considers the " mark to be a field delimiter.  My
> solution, in case anyone else needs it, is going to be
> a cron job to run just after midnight each day which
> simply does a replace on the .iif file from the
> previous day to replace all " with ''  (the '' looks
> just like a " when it prints in their invoices and I
> do want that to appear).  Not elegant, but certainly
> functional and won't require me to figure out any
> place the " might show up, including places customers
> might accidentally enter it like in company name and
> address and such.

We came up against this recently. Even up to and including QB2003 (UK and
US) there is still a problem.

>From what we can tell, QB uses double quotation marks (") as text delimiters
when there are certain characters in the field. You can see this by creating
an item in QB with a comma in the description and then running an item
export.

For imports, you will break the import if you have double quotes within your
text - this will result in some data importing into the wrong fields. We
could find no way of escaping a " to get it back into QB. Interestingly
enough, it does use \n for a newline though..

Also, when QB exports a " it turns it into a ' which is annoying in itself
(when you have a catalog of thousands of products with inches in the
descriptions!). The only workaround we could find was replacing the double
with double single quotes. This looks fine in QB which uses a proportionally
spaced font.

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Clark