[ic] Is omitting explicit MySQL column definitions bad?

Interchange User interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Jun 7 12:18:01 2003

Hi list,

IC 4.9.7, MySQL 4.1, Mac OS 10.2

What happens if you do not explicitly include column definitions for
MySQL tables accessed in catalog.cfg?  I have a table that was created
in MySQL, which I later decided to access with Interchange.

Twice, over the course of the past month, my table's datatypes have
spontaneously changed from whatever they were (date, int, blob) to
varchar(256) or varchar(16).  The data remained as it was in the
database, however several fields were truncated down to 256 characters
when their types changed from TEXT or BLOB to varchar(256).

The only thing I can attribute this to is my editing the table's
contents using the admin UI, and using the UI to change the
presentation of the columns (changing the default textbox to textarea
or dropdowns, for example).

Any idea what could trigger this redefinition of my column types?  It's
quite disconcerting to see my data being truncated/redefined without
any reason (that I can figure out, anyway).  I thought I only had to
add explicit column typedefs in catalog.cfg for tables that were
created using Interchange.  Was I wrong?

Thank you,

Peter