[ic] userDB structure (more questions)

Peter Nikolaidis interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jun 17 13:56:01 2003

>> http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=icdatabase09%2e00
>> describes the user database.  At the bottom, it says:
>>
>> "Reserved fields include:
>>     code        The username (key for the database)
>>     password    Password storage
>>     time        Last time of login"
>>
>> My demo doesn't seem to have a "code" or a "time" field in it.  Does
>> the doc need to be updated?  What is the default key if you don't have
>> a "code" column in your userDB?
>
> It is no big deal. I guess you can call it a typo. 'code' is actually
> 'username'... and without checking, I would say 'time' is actually
> 'mod_time' or 'update_date'.
> "Reserved" probably means you should not remove/rename those, but yes,
> you can clean up the definition files if you like.

Thank you, Paul.

I am now trying to migrate an existing user database (MySQL,
non-Interchange) into the standard userdb database.  The existing
database uses e-mail addresses as unique user ID's.  This doesn't seem
to work with IC however, as it crops usernames at 16 characters.  Where
is this limit set if I'm using text databases?

More importantly, I need to use SQL for the user DB, so I am planning
on adding a table for this purpose, importing the required fields, and
adding the missing fields that we want to preserve.  The problem I'm
having now is that the existing database used an MD5 hash to store
users' passwords.  I tried changing the default action to encrypt
passwords in UserDB with:

UserDB    default    crypt         1

but wasn't able to login after a copy/paste an MD5 hash from the
existing DB into my userdb.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Peter