[ic] a new "we're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable" problem

Dave Della Costa interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jun 20 19:44:00 2003

Hi folks,

I'm getting the message in my browser, upon trying
http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/catalog/index.html:

We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
We are out of service or may be experiencing high system demand. Please
try again soon.

Familiar?  I thought so.  However, I've checked the archives and the
FAQ, and the answers I've found (obviously I may not have found the
right posts in the archives, my apologies if this is so) have not been
helpful.

I'm setting up 4.8.3 for various reasons.  First I set up a foundation
demo site on a relatively vanilla Redhat 7.3 setup, using makecat.
This worked perfectly as far as I could tell.  I then went through the
building a catalog tutorial per these instructions:

http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/documentation.html?document=iccattut

This new catalog does not work after starting interchange, and I get
the above error message.  In addition, if I comment out the new catalog
from the /etc/interchange.cfg file, my formerly working foundation demo
catalog is still broken after restarting interchange again.  The only
way I can get that working again (emphasis on 'I') is to wipe
everything down, uninstall and start again with a new rpm install.

I've double checked the permissions on the cgi-bin interchange
redirector, I've double-checked the permissions on the new catalog
stuff, I've got nothing in the error.log file.  Everything is pretty
vanilla, the only real change is the name of the new catalog.  I've
also double checked to make sure I don't have two interchanges running,
not that I think that would give me this particular error (I don't
know, can you tell I'm an interchange neophyte??).

I'd love for somebody with some more experience to let me know what I
might be doing wrong, I'd really appreciate it.  If I can furnish any
more information, please just let me know.

Many thanks,
Dave D.