[ic] Red Hat 9 workaround (Debian addition)

Philip S. Hempel interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Jun 28 21:19:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 14:15, Mike Heins wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I did some investigation of the Red Hat 9 Perl, and found:
>
>         1. They have been applying patches as posted to the maintenance
>            group, with no apparent testing. I believe the perl-porters
>            would be appalled at this behavior.
>
>         2. The Perl as distributed doesn't generate Makefile properly
>            for several modules, whereas the stock perl does.
>
>         3. While the perl core has very recent, experimental, non-release
>            code in it, the versions of modules Red Hat builds are
>            generally out of date, sometimes woefully so.
>
>         4. The Perl as distributed has no chance to run Interchange
>            properly. Mostly this is not due to the threads implementation
>            per se, it is due to core dumps in XS modules.
>
> I produced an image of a Red Hat 9 perl that is built:
>
>         1. With the standard release 5.8.0 perl core code, no
>            threads or suidperl.
>
>         2. All of Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink (a superset
>            of Bundle::Interchange) and almost all of the extra
>            modules Red Hat provides in RPM. (Only two Japanese
>            language modules are not included, because they would
>            not build.)
>
>         3. Includes /usr/lib/libperl.so so that the release Vim
>            will work properly.
>
>         4. Includes both DBD::mysql and DBD::Pg.
>
> It works fine for me, though you should use at your own risk. The worst
> that could happen is you have to run the uninstall.sh script or otherwise
> re-install the stock Perl RPMS.
>
> Download the tar ball from one of:
>
>     http://ftp.icdevgroup.org/perl/RHL-9/perl-kitchensink-5.8.0-rh9.tar.gz
>     ftp://ftp.icdevgroup.org/pub/perl/RHL-9/perl-kitchensink-5.8.0-rh9.tar.gz

I have Debian builds without threads enabled for perl 5.8 on Debian sid
if anyone would like. I don't have the bandwidth to support large
downloads for these and they will be updated to the latest sid versions
when any fixes are put in by the Debian maintainer. If I could offer
them up to Mike or someone to post someplace as I work on these this
would be great.

BTW, This may be for Racke, but I am wanting to put in a bug report for
IC and perl, I have found there are major issues that relate to the
threads being enabled. I am not sure if this would do any good, since I
have not followed the devel list for a while and do not know if this has
already been discussed. I did not find any bugs for IC or Perl related
to this. After compiling over 100 perl modules that used threads (I use
perl for a crap load of stuff!) with the non-threaded perl, the problems
I have had previously with attempting to create options has been fixed.
I am almost sure that I will be getting rid of the PEOS I see now on an
occasion since upgrading to threaded perl in Debian. Threaded Perl by
the way screws with mod perl really badly causes many segfaults and
reduces the performance of mod perl by at least 10% due to all the
segfaults.

If Rack happens to have a script to pull down and build all of the
debian Perl packages I would be willing to compile all of them and make
them available much quicker. (Why oh why did all the distributions have
to go threaded with perl?).

The total of these Debian packages including perl-suid imagemagick-perl
mod-perl perl-tk perl-gd perl-pam and more, come to over 150 megs and
will become larger as I get more of the modules completed.

Later all.

--
Philip S. Hempel

Give a man a fish and he will feed himself for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime.

http://linuxhardcore.com/