[ic] Red Hat 9 workaround

Kerry Blalock interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Jun 29 08:21:01 2003

> Dear All,
>
> I did some investigation of the Red Hat 9 Perl, and found:
>
>         1. They have been applying patches as posted to the maintenance
>            group, with no apparent testing. I believe the perl-porters
> would be appalled at this behavior.
>
>         2. The Perl as distributed doesn't generate Makefile properly
>            for several modules, whereas the stock perl does.
>
>         3. While the perl core has very recent, experimental,
> non-release
>            code in it, the versions of modules Red Hat builds are
>            generally out of date, sometimes woefully so.
>
>         4. The Perl as distributed has no chance to run Interchange
>            properly. Mostly this is not due to the threads
> implementation per se, it is due to core dumps in XS modules.
>
> I produced an image of a Red Hat 9 perl that is built:
>
>         1. With the standard release 5.8.0 perl core code, no
>            threads or suidperl.
>
>         2. All of Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink (a superset
>            of Bundle::Interchange) and almost all of the extra
>            modules Red Hat provides in RPM. (Only two Japanese
>            language modules are not included, because they would
>            not build.)
>
>         3. Includes /usr/lib/libperl.so so that the release Vim
>            will work properly.
>
>         4. Includes both DBD::mysql and DBD::Pg.
>
> It works fine for me, though you should use at your own risk. The worst
> that could happen is you have to run the uninstall.sh script or
> otherwise re-install the stock Perl RPMS.
>
> Download the tar ball from one of:
>
>     http://ftp.icdevgroup.org/perl/RHL-9/perl-kitchensink-5.8.0-rh9.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.icdevgroup.org/pub/perl/RHL-9/perl-kitchensink-5.8.0-rh9.tar.gz
>
> There is a README and a cheesy install.sh script.
>
> Best,
> Mike
> --
> Mike Heins
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I had lost interchange when I upgraded to RH 9.0. With your perl fix, I
was able to even get 4.9.8 to work.

One problem that still has me confused is the options function. I could
not get it to work on my box with 4.8.7, and it still does not work with
4.9.8. It works fine on the server hosting my cart. It is version 4.8.6,
with mysql. I am using the default database on my box. Does it not support
the options function???
Kerry