[ic] Ideas on Integrating Shipping

Jon interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Jun 29 12:17:00 2003

> * Jon <prtyof5@attglobal.net> [2003-06-28 12:36]:
> >
> >     Bottom line I'd like to integrate FedEx APIs with IC.
> > Unless someone says that's a bad idea to even think of.
> >
> > [snip separate locations, label printing, ship info, tracking]
>
> Perhaps you will find the Business::FedEx::DirectConnect software on CPAN
> of some use.  I haven't used it yet, because as far as I know, FedEx
> requires a paid shipping account just to do development (unlike UPS and
> USPS).

   Thanks Dan.

  That looks like it would be quite useful for the scenario where I communicate
to FedEx from my local system. Then I would need to be able to get the
transaction information from the remote server to the local one. Any thoughts
there ?  By the way there is another similar FedEx module at CPAN that
looks pretty similar to the one you mentioned but a little simpler.
You might want to take a glance at it.
I sure hope you don't have to pay for the development server that FedEx
provides. If anyone is interested I can report back when I find out.

> I've been wanting to create a new FedEx rating module for my "Online XML
> Shipping API", called Business::Shipping:
>
> http://www.kavod.com/Business-Shipping
>
> Currently in beta, it only does shipping calculation for UPS and USPS, and
> has an Interchange usertag.  I'd like to upload it to CPAN after I work out
> some namespace issues.
>
> There seems to be a glut of shipping software recently.  :-)  Mike Heins
> created a really great off-line shipping calculator, using data tables from
> UPS and USPS -- it even handles multiple packages.

  You know where the source of this glut resides ? I just searched around
both icdevgroup and interchange.rtfm and didn't see..  but could have
overlooked.

Again thanks Dan