[ic] SalesTax multi by *billing* country?

Jonathan Clark interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Mar 5 06:20:01 2003

> I currently have SalesTax set to 'multi' with the appropriate tax
> categories
> set in the tax field of the country table, for the UK.
>
> My question is: how can I calculate sales tax based on the
> billing country
> (if different to the shipping country), but still use the multi
> SalesTax type?
>
> I searched the archives and found the following:
>

> >> Well, I guess I mixed up what I was asking.  The technically
> correct way
> >> to charge sales tax is the the purchaser, not necessarily the receiver.
> >> So, if the billing state is filled in, then sales tax should
> be calculated
> >> to this, if not, then assume that Billing Address == Shipping
> Address, so
> >> calculate based on the Shipping State.
> >>
> >> Any ideas on how to implement this easily?
> >

> >In catalog.cfg:
> >
> >	SalesTax   tax_state
> >
> >At top of checkout.html and appropriate place in etc/profiles.order:
> >
> >	[if value b_state]
> >		[value name=tax_state set="[value b_state]" hide=1]
> >	[else]
> >		[value name=tax_state set="[value state]" hide=1]
> >	[/else]
> >	[/if]
>

> I was thinking about something like this, but how can I still use
> multiple
> tax categories? I'm guessing that I will need to set up a
> salestax.asc file,
> but I couldn't find any documentation explaining how to do this.

The variable MV_COUNTRY_FIELD specifies which form value to use for the tax
lookup and defaults to 'country'. Using something like the above code to
make sure your shipping value is set to the billing one if not set, you can
set the MV_COUNTRY_FIELD to your billing value name for the tax lookups in
the country table.

If you want to look into what's actually happening, its in Interpolate.pm in
the routine tax_vat().

Jonathan
www.webmaint.net