[ic] Status of the FreeBSD port of IC

Alexander Leidinger interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Mar 19 07:28:00 2003

Hi,

first off: I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me in case you
want an answer from me.

I was told that there's some uncertainity about the status of the
FreeBSD port of IC.

Actually the port is without a maintainer ("make -V MAINTAINER" prints
"ports@FreeBSD.org" which is the main discussion list for any ports
related topic). The FreeBSD port installs version 4.8.6 of IC.

As the port has no active maintainer, there will be no never version of
IC in the FreeBSD ports collection, as long as nobody sends patches with
an update (either by getting in contact with a FreeBSD committer (like
me) or by sending it with the "send-pr" command).

Updating the IC port isn't very difficult, as the hard work was already
done for the initial version of the port. In case someone wants to
invest some time into the update (and maybe is also willing to act as
the official maintainer of the port) some important topics:
 - make sure "BUILD_DEPENDS" and "RUN_DEPENDS" list all dependencies
 - make sure "MANx=" lists all appropriate man pages
 - make sure the file "pkg-plist" contains all files which get
   installed (try a
   "make PREFIX=/place/with/enough/space install clean && make deinstall"
   and look for files and directories of IC in the above PREFIX)
 - check if the patches in files/patch-* are still necessary and apply
   cleanly

A more detailed description about writting/updating ports can be found
in the porter's handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html
(chapter 2 - "Quick Porting" - should give you a fast start).

In case someone updates the port I'm willing to review it and commit it
into the ports collection (you should send an bzipped or gzipped unified
diff ("diff -u") between the old and the new version to either the
address in the header of this mail or to netchild@FreeBSD.org).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              To boldly go where I surely don't belong.