[ic] large field and keyword searching best practices?

Andrew C. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Mar 25 10:19:01 2003

March 25, 2003

Hello group.  Could someone provide me with some information on
searching multiple fields particularly where one or more of the fields
in different tables where some field are extremely large and are of data
type, "text" in the database.

I could certainly see building indexed search words that link to product
into a separate table at an off-peak time that I can than build a
"rated" keyword search against, but this is just a guess, and it also
seems like I would have millions of records!

The dbm I am using is postgresql.  The system IC is running on is a 1.1
Ghz PIII with 1 GB of RAM, no RAID implementation (single SCSI 7200 rpm
drive).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

-------