[ic] Calculating saletax for individual items

Andy Mayer interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon May 5 06:03:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 23:10, Jamie Neil wrote:
> I wanted to do the same thing, but found no built in mechanism for
> displaying prices with tax. So I wrote a usertag.

*code snipped*

Many thanks for the usertag. That will certainly help me. I am basically
trying to build a B2C system, where users assume that prices displayed
are including tax, but when they checkout they need to know how much
they have spent on tax.

But I was wondering if, rather than call your usertag from the flypage
and all results pages (and all UI components that display the price),
would it would be more efficient to store the price in the products
table *with* tax already added, and then modify the checkout page to
show what portion of the prices are tax (ie. just like amazon.co.uk).

If I did the above, are there any other parts of the system I should
modify so that tax is handled correctly? Should I keep tax type "multi"?

Any other thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy