[ic] four years behind

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon May 5 11:26:01 2003

Birgitt Funk wrote:

> Just a small advice, if you don't mind.
>
> Can someone tell me, if it makes sense to keep tons of printed
> documentation from version IC 8.1 and before, if I want to build a
> small site with the latest version?

I've never heard of IC 8.1, so perhaps you're using the 24th Century
version of IC :-)

Never the less, I still keep e-mail copies from the MV era as well as
past IC's, just for quick reference and learning, because even though it
may not directly apply to the latest release of IC, it may give me an
idea or send me off in a direction that will allow me to resolve the
problem without hitting the list.  Though you can always search the
on-line archives, I find that more of a hassel than keeping local copies
of e-mail tid-bits...

> I haven't followed IC for over three years aside from occasionally
> downloading documentation and making inappropriate remarks. I also
> stopped doing this around 2000, I think. I have RedHat 7.2 and don't
> intend to pay anything to upgrade.
>
> Which version of IC and RH together should I use to get into the least
> trouble? Do I need to discard old documentation and should I start
> completely from scratch with the latest stable distribution or are the
> changes minor and can safely fall back and use on older documentation?

A lot has changed in three years, at a minimum you will want to use the
latest docs, even if you choose not to print them.  As you may recall
when you were active on the list and attempting to spearhead the docs
project, the docs still to not stay current with the latest releases,
but they are no worse than when you were last around.

IMHO, I would use the latest stable IC and you should be able to run
that on 7.2 without any problems; Just make sure you Perl and mySQL are
current...

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

E-mail: Treahy@mmaz.com * Phone: 480/314-1320 * FAX: 480/661-7028