[ic] Shipping woes

Jamie Neil interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed May 7 04:40:01 2003

Andy Mayer wrote
> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 23:08, Jamie Neil wrote:
> > I've got a Usertag which adds VAT onto all the displayed prices in my
> > catalog (it's a consumer oriented site), and I can wrap it
> around just about
> > any tag I want (price, total etc.) by using the contained tag's noformat
> > option.
>
> I am also building a B2C site, and need VAT to be included in all the
> prices displayed, but I have chosen a different solution which I would
> value feedback on...
>
> I have decided to make all prices stored in the products and shipping
> table to be *inclusive* of VAT. I have then used code to display the VAT
> element of the prices at checkout as follows.

I considered doing this, but thought I'd run into too many problems - maybe
in hindsight...

I think one of the reasons I discounted it was that although the primary
customer base for out shop is going to be the UK (where VAT is always
included in customer prices), we also want to attract european customers.
This makes it useful to show price inclusive _and_ exclusive  of VAT.

So it was a choice between storing the prices without VAT and adding it on
where necessary for display, and storing prices with VAT and adding it on
for display! I judged that taking VAT off would be harder, especially at the
checkout. Not so sure now :)

Jamie

[snip]