[ic] maintenance mode? and extra pooling idea (softgoods and travel call)

Andy Mayer interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed May 7 06:42:01 2003

Hi,

I know this doesn't answer the question directly, but we do something
totally different for "maintenance mode". Instead of performing
maintenance on the live site, we have a development server that is an
exact copy of the live site. We perform all the development and testing
there. And then, when the customer has approved the changes we copy the
development catalog over to the live system.

The copying processes takes no more than a minute, and so we stop the
apache and interchange daemon whilst we are doing it, and make sure that
we do it during low periods.

This means that end users are not aware of any "maintenance mode", and
if they hit the site whilst we are copying an update over, the chances
are they hit browser refresh and are back in within a minute.

I guess we could make this slicker by putting a "maintence mode" page up
for the minute downtime whilst we are copying over.

Andy

http://andymayer.net
Integrated solutions for groupware, content management and e-commerce
127 Manchester Road, Sheffield S10 5DN, United Kingdom
office: +44 (0) 114 2631336 / direct: +44 (0) 7976 717210