[ic] Payment transactions on another server?

Philip Roy interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat May 10 18:56:01 2003

Hi all,

I'm complexly new to Interchange...I don't even have it installed or
running...and have never set up a cart or catalogue in my life! I wanted to
ask some questions to see if I should go ahead with some work I might do.

I have a site that I am running that is about to be sponsored by a small
publishing company. As part of the deal, they want a very small shopping
facility put on the site for the magazines they produce. For the other
magazines they make, they already have sites and have a system developed on
their servers.

For some time they have been asking me to move my entire site to their
domain/server, to make use of the system...but I am incredibly reluctant to
do so. Instead, I am wondering whether I can simply allow people to shop on
my site, but at the moment they want to make a purchase, the are sent to a
secure server with an entirely different domain?

So, on my site, they wouldn't log in, they wouldn't provide any
details...the only thing they would do is indicate some of the things that
they want to order. When they hit a "Buy Now" button....I'd like it to send
that information (and them) to another server and they carry on from there.
Can that be done?

How hard would it be to send that information to the other server? Is it a
security problem or is it just an issue of being able to send the
appropriate data to another system? Considering that I'm not asking them to
give me any info which might breach security (credit card etc) as that is
all handled at the secure server, I'm unsure why it can't be done.

Cheers,

Phil