[ic] Mrore non threaded perl questions

DB interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon May 12 19:22:00 2003

> Quoting DB (DB@M-and-D.com):
>> I found Mike's instructions for installing a new perl and have a question.
>>
>> > There are two recommended ways on Linux. Neither of them means removing
>> > the RPM -- you will find Perl is needed by a lot of other things.
>> >
>> > 	1. Replace the system perl.
>> >
>> > 		tar xzf stable.tar.gz
>> > 		cd perl*
>> > 		./configure -Dprefix=/usr -des
>> > 		make test
>> > 		make install
>> >
>> > 	2. Install a separate perl.
>> >
>> > 		tar xzf stable.tar.gz
>> > 		cd perl*
>> > 		./configure -des
>> > 		make test
>> > 		make install
>> >
>> > The second will install it at /usr/local (under Linux), in which case
>> > you install Interchange with
>> >
>> > 	/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL
>>
>> For option #1, will this just overwrite the existing perl on my Redhat
>> 8.0 with a non threaded version? It seems like an easy solution but I'm
>> afraid of breaking anything else.
>
> Never breaks anything *I* use. I would be extremely surprised to
> find any standard Linux program using threaded Perl programs.
>

>> Option #2 I like because it would leave everything else untouched. I
>> already have an earlier version of 4.9.7 that I installed from a
>> tarball. Is there a way to upgrade my existing 4.9.7 by telling it to
>> use the alternate non-threaded perl? Will "/usr/local/bin/perl
>> Makefile.PL" do that?
>
> Yes, it will.
>
>>  Or maybe there's some option I can use with the
>> configure command to point it to the new perl?
>
> Or you can just modify the shbang on the appropriate scripts:
>
> 	cd /usr/local/interchange
> 	perl -pi -e 's:^#./usr/bin/perl:#\!/usr/local/bin/perl:' \
> 		`grep -rl '#./usr/bin/perl' *`
>
> That should about cover it, though you will have to modify
> /usr/sbin/interchange and /usr/sbin/makecat if those are on your
> system.

I tried option 2 on my Redhat 8.0 server. After I installed the new
perl, a 'which perl' returned /usr/local/bin/perl and this of course
fouled up my existing 4.8.7 catalog. I was not able to get some of the
modules installed in the new perl. This is a production server so I
deleted the new perl directories and got things back to life. Maybe just
changing the default system path would have allowed me to keep the new
perl and continue fiddling?

I haven't the balls to try option #1, at least not until I double check
that I have a full system backup. Anyone have words of wisdom?

DB