[ic] Upgrade 4.7.3?

Peter Nikolaidis interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue May 13 21:38:00 2003

> We are running a dozen or so production Interchange stores quite
> comfortably
> using version 4.7.3
>
> We would, however, like to begin rolling out some new sites that take
> advantage of some of the more current Interchange backend features etc.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> 1. Given that we need these sites to run on the same server, RedHat
> 7.3, 1
> gig RAM, using mod_interchange, would it be advisable to:
>
> Upgrade Interchange
>
> or
>
> Run two IC daemons?

We faced a similar dilemma last year.  I wrote a letter to some of our
clients who were still running on Minivend 4 catalogs, informing them
that support for MV would be limited, and why it was in their best
interest to upgrade (namely, because they could get the slick new
interface and it would be easier (read "cheaper") to maintain their
servers with the new versions. As a result, we lost one client (who
wasn't that critical anyway) and performed three MV -> IC upgrades.

However, if they're not willing to pay, I'd leave them until they are
in need of something that the new version would offer.

Peter
Peter Nikolaidis, Network Consultant
Paradigm Consulting Co.
http://paradigmcc.com/