[ic] Movin on to question #962642: interch user... :)

Mark Bryant interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed May 14 09:56:00 2003

At 20:22 13/05/2003, you wrote:
> > # Create interch user/group if they don't already exist
> >
> > /usr/sbin/groupadd -g 52 interch 2>/dev/null
> >
> > /usr/sbin/useradd -u 52 -g interch -c "Interchange server" -s /bin/bash -r
> > -d /var/lib/interchange interch 2>/dev/null
> >
>Mark, thanks for this, I appreciate your help.
>
>Why 52?
>Can I just do /usr/sbin/groupadd -r interch ? (Red Hat 7.2)

I lifted those lines from the scripts in the rpm installer for IC

If you want it to have a group number higher than 100 then leave out the -g 52.

I understand that UID/GIDs below 100 are considered to be system accounts
rather than normal user account on RH Linux. I would consider the IC user
to be a system account hence why 52 :o)

>How is this going to allow me to write to directories and files that were
>created by root?
>Thanks!
>Enrique

Nothing should be owned by root for IC and I'm unsure why you're taking
this approach. If you have RH7.2 why are you not using the rpm installers
as they will setup all the files/folders with the correct ownership and
perms? Put it this way they worked fine for me on my RH installation :o)

Hope this helps

Mark