[ic] Movin on to question #962642: interch user... :)

Jon Jensen interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed May 14 16:16:00 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Kitepilot Solutions LLC wrote:

> Well, in one of the 345908934 pages that I have read about Interchange so
> far, I did read that if I was going to install Interchange in a dedicated
> server for one store, I should use the rpm, and that if I was going to
> install it in a server with many virtual domains (my case), I should use
> the tarball...
>
> How certain is that?

That's actually fine advice.

> Besides, I did install IC in my server at home using rpm as root, and when
> I tried to create the foundation (from rpm too but as interch) it aborted
> because of lack of root permissions...  :(

Run makecat as root, then. It's only running the IC daemon as root that's
a problem, though the paranoid may wish to adjust permissions so that
running makecat as interch works.

> And finally, to make matters worse, I am set that I will install
> interchange-4.9.7 because it will be a while before I have enough
> customers with stores beyond a practical upgrade.
> As I am starting from scratch, I am betting on having a stable 4.9.7 by
> the time I am actually doing real business with IC.

Well, I'd recommend using the latest 4.9 and building from source. RPMs
are meant primarily for the stable releases, though I have built them for
4.9 for testing purposes.

Jon