[ic] Anyone make a User ... Google Answers!!

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu May 22 17:34:00 2003

> > >I certainly would consider to write a decent User Manual/Tutorial
> > for Interchange this summer if sufficient funds are available.
> >
> > With regards
> > Racke
> >
> > How much in sufficient funds would it take to create a decent
> > user manual organized to include chapters on troubleshooting
> > for technical users?
>
> > I don't have a number yet. If there are enough people interested
> > in funding a manual, I'll do a research to get an estimate.
>
> > What topics do you have in mind ?
>
> > Bye
> >     Racke
>
> What about (as a first step) reorganizing the existing
> documentation sort of like Postgres does it?
> 1 getting started tutorial
> 2 users guide
> 3 admin guide
> 4 programmers guide
> 5 reference manual
> 6 developers guide

Well, those are pretty vague, and each would be monumental... (see rad
addendum below)

However, a good point is made, that a new manual is not in order, but maybe
we can pitch funds to inject life into the existing docs...

For example, here is a nice HowTo for the table-editor:

http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2001-September/012894.
html

It is missing an example of how to use it and its "TEMPLATE" feature, which
would round off the table-editor docs very well.

I suggest (only a suggestion) that someone with a vast Knowledge of IC, like
Racke, Kevin (Mike even seems pretty familiar with it 8-)) offer to instead
"create docs on demand"

So, Racke(?) can set a price for his time (reimbursement). I can email him
and say can you post a "howto" for the table editor using the "template"
feature.

Racke simply opens up his email client, enters a special ICDEVGROUP site
subject line, types in some examples of the table-editor with TEMPLATEing
and sends the email. The dev groups site parses those emails into a special
section of the docs, and possibly as a normal post too.

!#!#!#!##!##!#! Addendum:

wait wait wait.. I just erased a whole bunch of stuff.. I have an idea....
What if a consultant(s) or the dev group made a area on the website... like
Google Answers. People can post documentation requests, or even small
feature requests and a $ amount. Maybe it can even cost 50cents to post an
offer. So... I say:

POST--
Paul Jordan: $25
	Can someone please post an example of the table-editor, touching
	on TEMPLATEing features of it. Please include at least two different
	code snippets/examples, and possibly some relevant link....

SUBPOST
Harry Potter: $10
	I would like to add $10 to Pauls post, as I really would need this too.
	I will also pay a $5 tip if it is answer by this weekend!

TOTAL AVAILABLE: $35

WOW! what a great idea! Has anybody ever seen Google Answers? I use it all
the time BTW... It can even be automatic WRT charging CC cards....! I know
of some really good store ecommerce software to do it in... what was it
called...  PH... somehting.....

8-)

Paul