[ic] BUSINESS PROPOSAL

Carlton Thomas interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri May 23 10:14:01 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Bob Lindabury wrote:

> Can't this crap be banned from this list?
>
> It seems to me that email originating from NON-MEMBERS of the mailing list
> should BE REJECTED by your mail list processor.  If this isn't the case, I'd
> dare say this mailing list is not setup correctly.
>
> I've received more spam from this list than any other list I've EVER been a
> part of.  I came here to obtain some information on IC and the potential of
> using it for my e-commerce site, not to be spammed.

<LURK-MODE OFF>

Bob, just chill a little and take it easy. This list is nothing
like as bad as you say it is. I have been lurking here for over
a year and the spam messages have been negligable.

You have to remember that this is a public mailing list. As such,
anyone can spend 5 minutes and subscribe an email address to the
list with the intention of only using that address once to spam
the many list members. There is not much that can be done about
that. Well, not quite true, you can ban new subscribers from
posting for a period of one month, but it hardly seems worthwhile.

My guess is that the list moderator would have removed the spammer's
address from the list as soon as the spam message was detected, but
that is all that can be done.

So, you just need to be a little more tollerant and remember where
you left that delete key. Compared to some other lists I have used,
the signal to noise ratio of this list is very good.

<LURK-MODE ON>

Regards !

--
Carlton