[ic] Formatting Zip for UK - Change to Upper Case and Add a Space??

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Thu Nov 6 18:13:31 EST 2003

Andrew Smith [a_w_smith at ntlworld.com] wrote:

> I would like to format the zip field to display correctly for UK
> postcodes on the order_view.html page.
>
> UK postcodes can be of the following formats:-
>
> AN NAA
> ANN NAA
> AANN NAA
>
> Where A=Alpha and N=Numeric.

Your validation rules are incorrect.  My post code (RH9 8AX) does not
conform to the above, neither does the BBC Broadcasting House in
London (W1A 1AA).

> At the moment all my zip/postcodes appear in lower case letters with no
> space, even if a space is entered at checkout.
>
> Is there some piece of script I could use to:-
>
> 1) Convert all Alpha to uppercase
> 2) Insert a space at the point 3 characters before the end.
>
> Could this be done in Perl?

Yes, this could be done using Perl.  I believe the following to be
an accurate summary of the UK post code validation rules, so should
help to get you started:

  1. The total length must be 5, 6 or 7 characters, excluding the space.

  2. A single space must be included in the post code.

  2. The inward code, the part to the right of the space, must always
     be 3 characters.

  3. The first character of the inward code must be numeric.

  4. The second and third characters of the inward code must be alpha.

  5. The outward code, the part to the left of the space, can be 2, 3
     or 4 characters.

  6. The first character of the outward code must be alpha.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz