[ic] st=db

Dan Browning db at kavod.com
Wed Nov 12 17:19:31 EST 2003

* Ed LaFrance <edl at newmediaems.com> [2003-11-12 13:59]:
> At 12:13 PM 11/12/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> >Why wouldn't you want every loop search to use st=db to search the database
> >instead of the txt source file?  The txt file is only up to date when it
> >has
> >just been exported from the db file, right?  It seems like leaving st=db
> >out
> >of a loop search would send you searching through old data most of the
> >time.
> >I'm noticing that happening now that I've upgraded to mySQL, but maybe it
> >was happening before too.
> >
> >- Grant
>
> Ironically, you may get better performance out of those text-file searches
> now, since in most cases interchange applies a [loop search..] to SQL by
> doing a 'select * from table' to grab a copy of the entire table contents,
> essentially importing it and scanning it locally. This is not very
> efficient to say the least, and can kill your catalog's performance with
> large tables.
>
> The best answer at this time is to start replacing interchange-type
> searches with SQL passed via the [query] tag; well-written queries and
> judicious indexing of SQL tables will give you impressive performance
> gains. Rewriting the code for the keyword search box and the standard
> foundation catalog results pages, sidebar links code (bar_link routine),
> components which utilize search code, etc., is also well worth the effort
> once you have comitted to SQL, IMHO.

For the sake of completeness, one more alternative is to add
"co=1/rf=*/op=eq" to your searches.  The addition of those three frequently
reduces the actual query from

	SELECT * FROM products

	SELECT * FROM products WHERE category='Hammers'

However, any search feature that relies on Interchange or Perl (such as
regular expressions) will take you back to the "SELECT * from products".

HTH,
--
Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies, <db at kavod.com> 360.843.4074x217
6700 NE 162nd Ave, Ste 611-210, Vancouver, WA.    Random Fortune: