[ic] Subcatalogs and SQL databases

Thomas Weiss pater.noster at gmx.net
Tue Nov 25 00:22:37 EST 2003

* On Mon, Nov 24 Mike Heins wrote:
[...]

> > The strange thing is that the message directive must be there in order
> > for the setup to work. Or more exactly the undefined variable must have
> > been interpolated. If I leave it out or unset ParseVariables the
> > variables defined in the variable database (the subcatalog's one) will
> > not be available inside the configuration file and so the database setup
> > will fail. Is this a bug or is this a feature?
>
> A little of both. The only Variable definitions available in a
> Subcatalog config will be ones it makes prior to that. You don't
> have access to the master catalog configuration (as that may have
> not even been read yet).

Hm, from what I've read I assume the subcatalog configuration is loaded
and afterwards merged with the base catalog's configuration. Is this
correct?

But I guess I should be more precise. The exact problem here is
demonstrated with the following subcatalog configs:

# BOC
ParseVariables Yes
Message __UNDEFINED_VARIABLE__
ParseVariables No

ProductDir subcats/testsub1/products
VariableDatabase variable

ParseVariables Yes
Message COMPANY=<__COMPANY__>
ParseVariables No
# EOC

This will print

COMPANY=<FOOBAR Inc.>

whereas

# BOC
ProductDir subcats/testsub1/products
VariableDatabase variable

ParseVariables Yes
Message COMPANY=<__COMPANY__>
ParseVariables No
# EOC

will print

COMPANY=<>

So it seems the variable database isn't loaded correctly. Any idea why
that could happen?

Bye,
Thomas