[ic] What to do when UPS online lookup fails

Jon prtyof5 at attglobal.net
Fri Nov 28 10:51:28 EST 2003

> Hi all,
>         I have a client who uses UPS for online shipping lookups.  Once in a
> while, the lookup fails for whatever reason, and a shipping charge of
> $0.00 is entered into the order.  I was wondering what other people do
> in this case.  I thought about putting a notice if shipping is $0
> saying that shipping will be determined later or something to that
> effect, but I was wondering other people do in this case.

    I ran into that some time ago. Don't recall the exact cause... perhaps
something like user not logged in and/or with out a valid zip therefore
fails the table lookup and shipping price of zero.. Anyway some reason
like that. What I did, possibly not the best of solutions,  is a couple of
things.  First make the zip mandatory and execute a recalculate when the
zip is entered/changed.  Also did a check for shipping of zero as a backup.
Was also gonna feed that into free shipping which I've only half completed
on a development cart.


More information about the interchange-users mailing list