[ic] RH9 & IC

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Thu Oct 2 11:38:19 EDT 2003

Quoting Hostmaster (hostmaster at zipp.net):
> Hello Interchange Developers and others,
>
> >From Mike Heins:  Sat Sep 20 17:26:28 EDT 2003
> >I produced an image of a Red Hat 9 perl that is built:
> >1. With the standard release 5.8.0 perl core code, no threads or suidperl.
> >2. All of Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink (a superset of
> Bundle::Interchange) and almost all of the extra modules Red Hat provides in
> RPM. (Only two Japanese language modules are not included, because they
> would not build.)
> >3. Includes /usr/lib/libperl.so so that the release Vim will work properly.
> >4. Includes both DBD::mysql and DBD::Pg.
> >It works fine for me, though you should use at your own risk. The worst
> that could happen is you have to run the uninstall.sh script or otherwise
> re-install the stock Perl RPMS.
> >Download the tar ball from one of:
> >http://ftp.icdevgroup.org/perl/RHL-9/perl-kitchensink-5.8.0-rh9.tar.gz
> >ftp://ftp.icdevgroup.org/pub/perl/RHL-9/perl-kitchensink-5.8.0-rh9.tar.gz
> >There is a README and a cheesy install.sh script.
>
> When I "use something at my own risk", the worst thing usually happens,
> because it was "me" using it at my own risk, instead of someone more
> capable.  I'm in the learning stages with Linux (and can see I always will
> be).
>
> At my request, near the end of September my server was upgraded from RedHat
> 7.3 to RedHat 9.0 by a technician at the company from which I lease a
> managed dedicated server.  Afterward, Interchange no longer worked.  I've
> directed the server admin to these posts, but he has yet to succeed in
> getting Interchange functioning.  He has recommended downgrading back to
> RedHat 7.3, which I really don't want to do.  I feel that he has been
> helpful beyond the scope of his contract with me, and although he has
> offered to continue to try to help with this problem, I would like to try to
> solve it myself if possible.
>
> Have any alternatives to Mike's RedHat 9 perl image solution been discovered
> since that post?  I didn't see reference at redhat.com to Interchange and
> RedHat 9.0.

Because my binary image can cause problems with CUPS and
Sendmail::Milter (not usually used on server systems, but can be) I have
lately been just downloading Perl 5.8.x (5.8.1 now) and installing it at
/usr/local. It is as easy as:

        tar xzf perl-5.8.1.tar.gz
        cd perl-5.8.1
        ./Configure -des && make test && make install
        /usr/local/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell

        (set PREFIX=/usr/local during config)

        cpan> install Bundle::Interchange5

At that point, you just install IC using

        /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL && make && make install

If you don't want to upgrade, you can just edit the shbang
line in all the executables to point to /usr/local/bin/perl.

Any competent consultant should be able to do this in an hour of billable
time if given proper access to the machine.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike at perusion.com>

I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as
well. -- Diane Ackerman