[ic] mv_metadata and formatting a date value YYYYMMDD

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Oct 22 00:11:58 EDT 2003

Quoting Gary Norton (gnorton at broadgap.com):
> I have a table that has start and end columns in it that I am populating
> using the YYYYMMDD format.
>
> The mv_metadata is currently using the widget type of Date Selector.
>
> When using the table editor to create/edit a record the display is fine.
> There is no problem using the widget.
>
> What I would like to do is change the format that is being used on the
> select screen. On this screen the fields list as YYYMMDD. The column header
> is using the "Label" field that I set in mv_metadata for the column.
>
> Since this screen is using part of the mv_metadata I was wondering if I
> could change the display from YYYYMMDD to a more presentable format.
>
> I think the format used by [convert-date] would work well on this screen.
>
> I have tried entering different combinations of this tag to no avail (i.e.
> pre_filter,display_filter).
>
> Is it possible to get the results I am looking for on the select screen
> (using flex_selector via table editor)? If so, can anyone give me some ideas
> on how to do it?

There is a built-in filter for this.

All you should have to do in the latest IC is append "(convert_date)" to
the field name. You can even add (convert_date."%b %e, %Y %l:%M %P").
This goes right after the field name in the "Show on select page" area
of the table metadata.

To test, take a standard demo and for the "transactions" table in the standard
demo, make it look like:

    code
    username(lookup.userdb.fname)
    order_date(convert_date."%b %e, %Y %l:%M %P")
    nitems
    total_cost

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike at perusion.com>

I am a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work
the more luck I have. -- Thomas Jefferson