[ic] Search Results with Blank Search Box

Chris Wenham cwenham at synesmedia.com
Thu Sep 4 20:29:18 EDT 2003

On Thursday 04 September 2003 18:58, skip wrote:
> On Interchange 4.8.7 when I click "Search" without typing anything in the
> search box, I am returned with 8 of my products that do not appear to be
> related in any way. They are always the same 8 products. Any ideas why it
> does that? Is it because I don't have a function on my page to handle
> multiple search result pages? Or could there be something unique about
> these 8 products that I am not seeing?
>
> I would prefer that if I click search without any text in the box that it
> returns all of my products.

 The default search component in Interchange has a trick to prevent a blank
search spec from returning every product in the database. It adds a
not-equals search on "1", like this:

      <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=ne>
      <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=rm>
      <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchspec VALUE=1>

 It may be that this is in your search form, but it's reacting weirdly. Check
to see if there's anything like this in there and remove it. Then a search on
a blank string should return all the products in your database.

Regards,
--
Chris Wenham
Synesmedia - www.synesmedia.com