[ic] Usertrack questions

Ian Riddler ian at griffler.co.nz
Sat Sep 27 14:06:26 EDT 2003

Hi guys,
I'm wanting to dig into the usertrack file to get some usable statistics.
Things like most viewed products (What are people looking at?), and Items
added to carts (What are peopel thinking of buying?)

I have a couple of questions so far.

First, am I right in assuming the file is a pure log file, IC doesnt' use it
for anything itself?
I'm thinking of doing log rotation on the file, but don't want to break
anything !

Secondly, where an entry session details has nsession before the IP, does
that mean this is a robot?
I'm making a pretty big assumption that all real users get session ID's, and
robots don't.
If I can be sure nsession entries denote robot activity, then I'll drop
those lines out of the stats.

Thirdly, I'm going to write this in python, since most perl has no more
meaning to me than the scratchings of a spider that's walked through an
inkwell.
It'll require shell access and cron access.
Given that, is anyone else interested in seeing this sort of functionality
once I'm done?  (Or helping me with it?)

Kind Regards,
Ian Riddler