[ic] charge of credit card in log_transaction

Ron Phipps rphipps at reliant-solutions.com
Sat Apr 3 12:43:42 EST 2004

> From: interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org
[mailto:interchange-users-
> bounces at icdevgroup.org] On Behalf Of Mike Heins
>
> Quoting Ron Phipps (rphipps at reliant-solutions.com):
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed in foundation that the actual charging of a real time
credit
> > card happens in log_transaction now as opposed to in profiles.order.
> > was wondering if anyone knew the reason for this change?  One of the
> > disadvantages that I see to this is the order number is incremented
each
> > time a user tries to charge their card, even if it does not succeed.
Is
> > this so the order number can be supplied when contacting the credit
card
> > processor?
>
> Partly, but it is mostly so that all the action happens in the same
> place. This makes it easier to do a rollback of a transaction on any
> failure including inventory hiccups. This can include doing a void of
> the credit card transaction if the transaction fails, though the code
> support is not in foundation for that. This is difficult to do when
the
> charge has been done in a disconnected place like the order profile.

I see that makes a lot of sense.  I'll probably change the way I do
things to match that behavior, seems like the smart way to do this.

> I just added a TID function in the last few weeks, which allows you
> to assign an interim tid from a SQL counter to use for the
> transaction ID in the payment. The order number is only assigned
> after all that happens.

Ahh! That's the way, so the TID is used to connect an order with a
transaction with the payment gateway.  Then the order number is only
used on a successful order, I'll go dig through CVS to find how you did
it.

Thanks!
-Ron