[ic] dedicated installation

Christopher Wenham cwenham at synesmedia.com
Mon Apr 5 12:22:30 EDT 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 11:36, interchange-users at mccullough-net.com wrote:
> Going through the setup and installion of a dedicated box for an
> interchange store.  We're looking at Redhat 9 or Enterprise V3 (apparently
> the company building the box isnt charging for EV3 installs).  The other
> choices are Fedora and FreeBSD.  Any suggestions

 Interchange doesn't prefer any particular Linux or BSD, so I'd chose
whichever one satisfies your administrative needs.

>  Any gotchas with Perl and HyperThreading.

 There's threads and then there's HyperThreading.

 It's imperative to disable Perl threads, because Interchange won't run with
it. RedHat comes with "threaded Perl" by default, so you should rebuild it
from source with threads disabled. Some directions for doing it were provided
by Mike Heins here:

http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2003-April/032845.html

 HyperThreading refers to something the CPU does to make it seem as if there's
two CPUs. I don't know if it affects Perl or not.

Regards,
--
Chris Wenham - Synesmedia, Inc.
http://www.synesmedia.com