[ic] "upgrade" from DBM files to a MySQL server solution in IC 4.8.7

Mark Bryant mark at vwe.net
Thu Apr 15 08:12:16 EDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking it's about time that I stopped using DBM files and moved to an
SQL based solution with my IC install. The site it getting quite busy and
I'm hoping to improve its performance by changing to MySQL. The other
benefit, of course, that we'll be able to share the DB data with other
applications more easily.

So, on to my (probably) daft question....

Does anyone know the location of a complete HOWTO doc that covers the
conversion process including the importing of the existing DBM file data
into the MySQL server or does anyone have one they are prepared to share?
I've not altered the tables in any way or added new fields (although I am
using the odd redundant table field to store data I need/want rather than
use it for it's intended purpose and have to add new fields), so it should
be relatively straight forward?

I've had a read on google and the IC site about using MySQL, but I'm not
finding information that I can really work with. If I was installing IC for
the first time and to use MySQL I think I'd be OK, it's converting a
current system with live data that I'm bothered/scared of.

I'm using RedHat 7.3, IC 4.8.7, Perl 5.6.1 and have MySQL + Server
installed from rpms as:

mysql-server-3.23.49-3
mysql-3.23.49-3
mysql-devel-3.23.49-3

The devel rpm probably isn't needed but I thought it best to include it
seeing as it was there and I'm not short of disk space :)

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

Eros Shop
vwe internet ltd