[ic] Creating a sub shop
jamie at versado.net
Fri Apr 23 07:06:12 EDT 2004
I've been given the problem of integrating a new supplier into an
existing IC5 store, but they (the supplier) have laid down some rather
strict (and odd) ground rules which include:
1) We are not allowed to display the price of their products anywhere in
the store apart from the basket and checkout. So in order to see how
much something is then a customer must add the item to their basket.
2) We are not allowed to display their products next to products from
I've tried telling them (and the store owners) that they are crazy, but
the supplier is sticking to their line and won't budge an inch. They
haven't been able to do this in the US for various reasons (I supect
legal ones), so this is for EU markets only.
The problem is that this supplier is _very_ prestigious and it's
considered worthwhile to jump through any number of hoops just to be
able to sell their stuff.
My current plan is this:
1) Create a "sub shop" dedicated to their products -
2) Create a separate table for holding their products.
3) Limit _all_ searches in the rest of the store (IC and SQL) to using
the main products table only. I'm using action maps for a lot of IC
searches at the moment so I'm hoping this should be fairly easy.
4) Limit searches in the sub shop to using the new product table.
5) Make components intelligent enough to know which bit of the store
they are being displayed in and use the correct products table.
Can anyone shoot any holes in this plan or suggest a better approach?
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254
More information about the interchange-users