[ic] How to change mysql.sock location in existing catalog

Bryan D Gmyrek gmyrek at U.Arizona.EDU
Fri Aug 6 16:52:18 EDT 2004

> Does anyone know how to change the mysql.sock path in an existing
> interchange install / catalog?  I upgraded mysql and now it has
> /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock as the location of the mysql.sock file
> whereas before it was /tmp/mysql.sock.  I know I could recompile
> with the location changed but would rather not fight the tide on
> this one so I don't keep running into it again on future
> upgrades (fedora).  So does anyone know how to tell interchange
> where to look?  Did grep mysql.sock in the interchange and
> catalog directories but this didn't help much (just saw error log
> entries).  Right now I have a symlink set up but am looking for a
> better way.

I did find a better way (than recompiling) to change the
mysql.sock location within the mysql config.  Edit /etc/my.cnf
and
change
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

then add a section

[client]
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
(this is necessary because otherwise the mysql client will look
for the socket at /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock and you won't be able
to type mysql at the command line...)

Be warned that this is probably less secure than having the
socket in /var/lib/mysql/ but ...

But still I wonder about how to change the path in interchange.

Bryan