[ic] intermittent 404 (page not found) from cgi-bin/shop - apache, FreeBSD, IC 5.0

tom friedel tomfriedel at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 8 21:36:41 EDT 2004

A few percent of visits to /cgi-bin/shop/ return a 404 error.  I in fact
have never seen the error, but customers have reported it, and I see it
in the Web logs.  FreeBSD, IC 5.0, Apache, greatly modified catalog.
No 404 errors on pages other than /cgi-bin/shop.
One customer saw it and later did not see it with same configuration,
indicating something I am sure.  Both UNIX and Inet sockets tried.

For example:

www.ourstore.com - - [09/Aug/2004:00:06:21 -0400] "GET
HTTP/1.1" 404 49 "http://www.ourstore.com/lighting/" "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; MSN 8.0; MSN
8.5; MSNbMSNI; MSNmen-us; MSNcIA)"

As with the last two problems on this site, I will post the answer if I
end up having to figure it out.

thank you in advance,
tom friedel