[ic] Search engines reindexing when moving to Interchange fromanother shopping cart

Steve icdev at mrlock.com
Sun Aug 29 20:44:08 EDT 2004

> We have recently moved a site onto Interchange from another shopping cart
> and wish to encourage the search engines to reindex the site.
>
> Currently, any old pages return the "missing.html" page which is
> informative
> enough to a human, but from looking at the Apache logs it still seems to
> return a Status 200 OK.
>
> So, I am thinking of changing the missing.html page to the following:
>
> ########
> [tag op=header interpolate=1]
> Location: [area href="index.html"]
> [/tag]
> ########
>
> so that any missing page is redirected to the home page and returns a
> "Status 301, moved (permanently)".
>
> Is this a sensible approach, or should I be doing something different?

If any of your old pages are in the search engines database, and you value
their placement, then you should manually write an html page and direct the
user to your new product page, or write an automatic refresh to the new
page.... I know it's a hassle, but you will not loose your existing pages
out of the search engine, and the time it took to get them there.

The rest of the email I can't comment on....

FWIW

Steve