[ic] IC server unavailable - ?perhaps permission problems?

DB DB at M-and-D.com
Mon Aug 30 14:57:57 EDT 2004

> I've been lurking in this list for some time, with the intention of building
> an Interchange site.  Last week I got started in earnest, and I've run into
> a problem i'm not sure how to approach:
> My instinct tells me I have some problem with permissions underlying all
> this-- restarting the IC server in a shell kicks this error:
>
> ---begin---
> Could not open error file '/usr/lib/interchange/error.log':
> Permission denied
> to report this error:
> - - - [30/August/2004:10:26:42 -0500]  -  - Low traffic settings.
> ---end---
>
> Thanks for reading this far, I hope that one of you may be able to shed some
> light on how to approach this problem.
>
> Familiarity with my OS:  3/10
> Willingness to learn:  10/10
>
> Grant

What are the ownership and permissions on that directory, and what user
is IC running as? You could touch the error.log file and see how much
more progress is then made when you restart IC.

DB