[ic] Shipping to APO boxes

Gary Norton gnorton at broadgap.com
Thu Dec 30 15:13:34 EST 2004

I wanted to see if someone would be willing to help me through some
logic for determining when an address is going to an APO.

Here are some details about the site:
- The server is running 5.2 code, but the catalog was originally built
on 4.8 and has been upgraded along the way to include some of the 5.2
features.
- The site is only using the "Express Checkout" type of checkout - no
multi-page at the clients request.
- The only method of shipping for the store is UPS, so defaulting to
another method is not an option.

The UPS lookup is returning $0 because it can't find the zip code in the
database. There are promotions where $0 shipping would occur, so
checking the value of shipping would have to include parsing the cart
and verifying it against a promotion  table to see if the item is valid
for free shipping. I was hoping to find a simpler solution than this if
possible.

I suppose in the profile.order I could parse for "apo" across certain
fields (such as the PO Box check for COD). However, since the actual
shipping check is made against the ZIP code, I was wondering if there
was a better way to check against APO type zip codes.

Does anyone have recommendations for this type of situation?

TIA,
Gary