[ic] people complaining about interchange...

doug1 at ultimatepassage.com doug1 at ultimatepassage.com
Thu Feb 5 21:04:51 EST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Tom Hodder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using interchange for a while now, but when I suggested interchange
> as an ecommerce platform to a company I am working for, one of their techies
> replied, "I have used interchange, but it doesn't run for very long before the
> daemon drops dead".
>
> Now that sounds like a comment one would hear about Microsoft, but not about a
> *nix application.
>
> I looked this up on google, and it seems that other people are experiencing
> the same problem.
>
> Are any of the developers, of profound believers in interchange, aware of this
> criticism, and know of the cause of the problem???

I've been running interchange and it's predecessor mini-vend for a very
long time and I've never had a problem on a properly configured system.

The one time I thought I had a problem, I really didn't.  A number of
years ago I installed mini-vend on an old redhat system (it might have
been RH 6.0).  About 18 months later, I get a call from the site owner.
He's very upset that his site was down.  I used ssh to connect to server
and noticed that the deamon had indeed stopped.  While I was poking
around, I noticed that the server had been rebooted in the last 4 hours.
So I asked the site owner how often he rebooted his system.  He said one
of the raid 5 disk drives had finally failed.  The service people shut
down the system to install a new disk drive and re-mirror the disk.  He
said that this was the first reboot in 18 months.  I suddenly
 realized that I had never setup the mini-vend deamon to start at
boot time and that the system had run continously for 18 months.

You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable solution.

Bruce