[ic] OT: Site promotion - Link Swapping

Tom Hodder tom at ecnow.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 13:29:52 EST 2004

>   One could argue this subject would be more appropriate for
> another group or not. In any case you're facing the exact same
> problem I'm facing currently. Combining the recent changes at google with
>
> the ever looming question of whether google will or will not spider
> dynamically generated pages and that many IC sites have something
> such as cgi or '=' in the URL you can't help but wonder especially
> when you're either ranked low or simply not in the index at all.
> Also I've read that due to the wild changes at google sites with
> high PR that do have links programs are ever more reluctant to
> link to other sites.  Combine all this and new sites that aren't part
> of a portfolio of highly ranked sites and you're pretty much stuck in
> mud.

2 options immediately spring to mind, the first is a ic component that pull
links to other interchange sites into your own site. sort of like a google
adwords. it could be a timed build, say daily that downloads the links table
from the icdev http server, or somesuch way of maintaining a links database
where there is no admin time involved.

the second relates to the problems with google indexing paths containing '='.
If it has been established that google will not index these paths, then would
it not be worth while looking to see how other commerce products address this
problem.
I remember that oscommerce for one used paths like
http://whatever.com/whatever.php/varname1/varvalue1/varname2/varvalue2
which would correspond to ics;
http://whatever.com/cgi-bin/whatever/varname1=varvalue1/varname2=varvalue2
and this method would overcome the '=' issue.

--
Regards,

Tom Hodder

E:tom at ecnow.co.uk