[ic] RobotIPs

Jonathan Clark jonc at webmaint.com
Fri Feb 20 16:19:45 EST 2004

interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org <> wrote:
>>> Please be so kind to tell us which robots crawling from this IP
>>> block to help the ICDEVGROUP to improve the default settings.
>> Googlebot.   Or am I wrong ?  Assuming so would it be correct
>> and appropriate to add    64.68?  ??
> 64.68.* would cover 65,536 IP addresses.  It's probably safe to say
> that they're not all used by spiders.  They're definitely not all
> owned by Google. :-)
> For instance, is allocated to by "Elan Communications".
> is allocated to "Advanced Access" and
> is allocated to "Cable & Wireless".  Within the Cable & Wireless
> block, is reallocated (sub-let) to eBay.  I believe
> Google has a large block in there somewhere (something like 2048 IPs)
> but I can't find it at the moment, and they're probably not all used
> by spiders anyway.
> A more focused list of addresses may make it into the default set,
> as long as a proper justification is presented.  You're free to add
> any addresses you like into your own local configuration, of course.

And this would help anyone wanting to do that:

Google does have more blocks listed, but the referrer id remains the same:

	Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)

at the moment so IC should behave properly anyway. Out of interest, we are
being spidered from at the moment. One server has this block
added, one doesn't. Both are behaving properly for google.

Jonathan Clark
Webmaint.com - Building Clever Websites        http://www.webmaint.com/
Webmaint.net - Business Web Hosting            http://www.webmaint.net/
WireTel      - Internet Connectivity Solutions http://www.wiretel.net/