[ic] Clustering Interchange

Frank fmueller at adva.de
Wed Feb 25 09:25:20 EST 2004

Hi List,

we are running IC 4.99 on a 4 server cluster. We found we have a problem
of customers losing sessions when they accessed us via Proxy servers.
So we started working on having the sessions just on one server, but we
can't get it to run properly.

When trying to share the session directory via NFS, 2 IC servers work
fine, the other 2 give us a new session id for each access or hang up.
We have not yet found any difference between the working and the
non-working servers. The IC user is the same on all 4 machines, with the
same user ID.

When trying to put the sessions in a MySQL table on a separate MySQL
server, we face problems of sessions getting locked and not unlocked
again. Problems seem to vary depending on the session
table definition:

Database  session  KEY          code
Database  session  COLUMN_DEF   "code=VARCHAR(49) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY"
Database  session  COLUMN_DEF   "session=BLOB"
Database  session  COLUMN_DEF   "sessionlock=VARCHAR(64) DEFAULT ''"
Database  session  COLUMN_DEF   "last_accessed=TIMESTAMP(14)"
will result in NULL as contents of the session column and sessionlock
being filled after first access to a page.

Database  session  KEY          code
Database  session  COLUMN_DEF   "code=VARCHAR(49) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
index(code)"
Database  session  COLUMN_DEF   "session=BLOB"
Database  session  COLUMN_DEF   "sessionlock=VARCHAR(64) DEFAULT ''"
Database  session  COLUMN_DEF   "last_accessed=TIMESTAMP(14)"
will result in the session column being filled with values (starting
with ..1234) and sessionlock being empty.
However, after trying to put the first item in the cart, the session is
locked and not unlocked again, just like in the first case.

We use Session.pm V.2.14 and SessionDB.pm V2.3. Variables set in
catalog.cfg :
SessionType	DBI
SessionDB	session
WideOpen	Yes