[ic] Munge-Quantity: Keep or Toss?

Thomas J.M. Burton tom at globalfocusdm.com
Thu Feb 26 14:26:34 EST 2004

Hi IC Users,

I'm upgrading our catalogs from IC 4.8.6 to IC 5.0 and have encountered
some trouble in the results page used with one of the catalogs.

I have the results page set up to display a list of the resulting items
from a search, each with a quantity box. There are several "add to cart"
buttons in the page. Under 4.8.6 this worked without a problem - any
items in the list that had a value in the quantity field were added to
the cart while those left blank were not.

Under 5.0, all items on the page are added to the cart regardless of
what's in the quantity field.

This results page is based off of the one in the Foundation demo, but I
removed the code related to munge_quantity because Mike had mentioned a
while back that it should not be used (see
http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2001-April/006926.html).

I'm confused as this code is still in the Foundation demo distributed
with v5.0 despite what seems to be significant changes to the structure
of the demo.

My results page contains the following code (simplified for this post):

<form action="[process-target]" method="POST">
<input type=hidden name=mv_todo value=refresh>
<input type=hidden name=mv_separate_items value="1">

   [search-region]
     [search-list]
       [item-description] [item-price]
       <input type=hidden name=mv_order_item value="[item-code]">
       <input size="2" name="mv_order_quantity" value="">
     [/search-list]
   [/search-region]

<input type="image"
         src="/interface/images/button_order_purple.gif"
       value="add to order"
        name="order">

Should this code still work in IC 5.0 or am I missing something? Is
munge_quantity now necessary in order to do a "buy list" sort of form,
or is it still something that shouldn't be in there at all?

Thanks,
Tom

Thomas J.M. Burton
Design & Production Director