[ic] Spiders and affiliate tracking

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Tue Jan 6 13:00:10 EST 2004

Jeff wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:33:43PM +0000, Jamie Neil wrote:
>

>>The problem with that is it stops spiders seeing some pages that I
>>_want_ them to index, it's just the pages containing mv_pc that are a
>>problem. I guess I could just match mv_pc values, but my mod_rewrites
>>are already pretty tortuous...
>

> 	It shouldn't stop them from seeing any pages, typically... it
> just strips stuff after the ? which is usually just mv_pc or the session
> id.

AFAIK mv_pc and session_id are suppressed for known robots on IC4.9/5.0
anyway to avoid these kind of problems.

However I have some pages where I pass parameters through that affect
the page output, for example filtering on a particular manufacturer or
price band. I want these pages to be indexed separately.

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254