[ic] Freebsd problems

Chris Ochs chris at paymentonline.com
Fri Jan 16 16:35:18 EST 2004

We have always had problems running ic on freebsd compared to linux, but
this latest one is a particularly nasty problem.

I completely reinstalled ic 4.8.8 using a fresh install of perl5.8.2, so
there are not any perl modules that were not directly installed by
interchange or that didn't come with the base perl installation.  This is on
freebsd 4.9-RELEASE.

The only custom module is our own payment module, but it uses the same http
post code as some of the other payment modules, and we have been using it
without problems for over a year on another ic server running freebsd 4.7.

In low traffic mode, the LWP post is returning a 500 read timeout error
after 2-3 seconds.  The script it is posting to is NOT returning a 500
error.  Somehow LWP is getting a signal from interchange that is causing it
to return immediately before the script finishes.  This causes orders to go
through, but it tells the customer that the order didn't go through.  I even
tried using http instead of https, but it didn't make any difference.  I'm
not sure if this is an LWP bug or an interchange bug.

In rpc mode interchange will just die or lockup after running a few hours,
with no messages in the error or debug logs giving any clues as to why.  The
only message I am seeing that might mean something is:

64.12.96.170 xpa8hCgE:64.12.96.236 - [16/January/2004:13:00:39 -0800]
MP1005470A /cgi-bin/MP1005470A/admin/flex_select Died in server spawn: Could
not lock file: Interrupted system call

I have had this happen a couple of times if I open the debug file when
interchange is running and trying to write to it.  On occasion this causes
the whole server to lockup.

Chris