[ic] remove sendmail 5-sec pause?

Jack Cushman jc at alexinteractive.com
Fri Jul 2 10:57:06 EDT 2004

Hi --

I'm trying to shave seconds off final order processing on a busy site.
I've found that, about one in ten times, etc/mail_receipt takes an
extra five seconds to run. Debugging messages narrow down the extra
time to the point of sending the email:

[email to="[scratch to_email], __MAIL_RECEIPT_CC__"
         subject="__COMPANY__ Order #[value mv_order_number]: [scratch
subject_end]"
         from=|"__COMPANY__ Order Confirmation" <orders at company.com>| ]
... email contents ...
# pause comes after this
[/email]
#but before this

I'm not sure exactly what config values apply here, but I believe we
have all defaults set as far as sending mail goes. So -- how can I kill
this pause? Is it something changing sendmail options could fix? Or is
it possible to have IC execution continue without waiting for the
results of the [email] tag?

In case it matters, we're running IC 5.2. Thanks for your help.

--Jack Cushman